Whether you are an adult or a teen, you deserve a smile full of straight, aligned teeth. Does that mean braces, or is there any alternative? Call our South Bend, IN dental office today at 574-208-5668 and schedule an initial consultation for orthodontic treatment.
You can get Fastbraces® or Invisalign. Both will move your teeth to where they belong, but which one is right for you? That depends.
Why Orthodontics Are Necessary Even For Adults
Straight teeth look better. That’s the most obvious reason why you need orthodontic treatments like Fastbraces® or Invisalign. However, this is more than just a cosmetic issue. How your smile looks can impact your self-esteem and your confidence, especially when speaking to others. Getting orthodontic treatment to make your smile look amazing can really impact your whole life.
But there are health reasons why you need straight, aligned teeth.
- When your teeth are crooked, they create irregular worn spots on your other teeth when you bite down. This can lead to weakened enamel.
- It’s easier to get food stuck in crooked teeth. Since this feeds harmful bacteria, you could be at a higher risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
- Orthodontics also helps with your jaw’s alignment. Misaligned jaws can lead to TMJ disorder and the pain associated with that.
By calling Tulip Tree Dental Care today, you can get one step closer to having a healthy, aligned smile.
What Are Fastbraces®?
Traditional metal braces are still used because they still work. However, a big drawback to those is how long it takes. With traditional braces, you usually have to wear them for 2-3 years. That means 2-3 years of eating restrictions and metal.
Fastbraces® is different. This modern orthodontic treatment uses uniquely shaped brackets and wires that move your entire tooth (root and crown) at the same time. This means Fastbraces® is more comfortable than traditional braces. Even better, this treatment can be complete in months, not years!
However, Fastbraces® still uses metal and wires. It will be obvious that you are getting orthodontic treatment, and you will still have to be careful about what you eat. (Some foods either get stuck or can even hurt braces.) You’ll also have to come to our South Bend, IN often to have your wire tightened. Otherwise, your teeth won’t move.
What Is Invisalign?
This is an orthodontic treatment that doesn’t use any metal or wires. Invisalign is a series of clear plastic trays that fit snugly over your teeth. Each tray is shaped a little differently. By wearing them in sequence, Invisalign repositions your teeth and jaw like traditional braces.
Invisalign can be easier to use as well. They can be taken out whenever you want, so you don’t have to worry about any eating restrictions. Because they’re clear, the Invisalign aligners are also practically invisible when worn. They are great when you want a discreet orthodontic treatment.
This treatment works well, but regular braces usually do a better job if you have some severely crooked teeth or need a lot of work repositioning your jaw. Invisalign is usually not as affordable as other orthodontic treatments.
Which Do You Need?
In the end, the choice between Fastbraces® and Invisalign needs to be made between you and Dr. Hurcomb. That said, here are a few guidelines.
- If you want your orthodontic treatment to be over the fastest, then you probably want Fastbraces®. Invisalign is normally done in a year, whereas Fastbraces® can be done in months. However, this all depends on how much work is needed to get your teeth and jaw properly aligned.
- If you want to hide the fact that you’re getting orthodontic treatment, then stick with Invisalign. Fastbraces® is done sooner, but it’s hard to beat Invisalign’s clear plastic aligners for being discreet.
- If you are very active or play sports, then you should go with Invisalign as well. If you take a nasty fall or get hit in the mouth, the metal in Fastbraces® can really hurt. Invisalign is much more similar to a mouthguard anyway.
Call us TODAY at 574-208-5668 or make an appointment online to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Hurcomb. She has the training and experience needed to help you decide whether you should go with Fastbraces® or Invisalign. No matter your choice, you’ll still get an attractive and healthy smile.